Advent’s team in Germany have allotted their 2022 philanthropy budget to three charities working to provide relief to the fallout from the war in Ukraine.
Medecins Sans Frontieres (“MSF”) provides medical assistance to people around the world affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from healthcare. The group has operated in Ukraine since the initial Russian invasion in 2014, and is now repurposing its operations in light of the massive escalation in violence across the country. MSF is now deploying its rapidly depleting resources to those parts of the country where it sees the greatest need and the best opportunity to have a significant impact.
At the time of writing, initiatives include:
- Rushing new cargo shipments of emergency medical supplies to Ukraine
- Donating supplies to hospitals in Kyiv, Odessa and parts of eastern Ukraine to treat war-wounded and deal with mass casualty incidents
- Training hospitals to deal with mass casualty incidents and to treat war wounds in Lviv, Vinnytsia and Bila Tsverka
- Providing training, support for triage, and patient stabilisation to help care for wounded patients across hospitals in Odessa
- Sending further emergency and specialist medical staff to support existing teams
- Supporting hospitals and doctors remotely, including through providing training on trauma care via telemedicine
Humane Society International works is an animal welfare charity that works around the globe to rescue and protect suffering animals. With thousands of animals in acute distress across Ukraine, MSI is working with groups in the region to help Ukrainian people and the animals in their care who have been devastated by Russia’s military invasion. The charity is also offering pet care packages and veterinary service to support refugees when they arrive at major transport hubs in Germany.
Ukraine Aid-Berlin was founded by a diverse group of German and Ukrainian volunteers living in Germany to help meet the immediate needs of the people of Ukraine. The focus of their work is to support victims of the war by sending medical and humanitarian aid to Ukraine. The group collects much needed donations from various organizations across Germany and sends them directly to clinics and field hospitals on the frontline in Ukraine.